The 2021-2022 MSA Application is now open! Applications are due May 1, 2021
The Multicultural Scholastic Award (MSA) Program is a scholarship and student retention initiative targeting academically talented students from diverse backgrounds. All UNT students are encouraged to apply. The MSA Program recruits and encourages traditionally underrepresented students by providing financial assistance, academic support, and student development support needed for success while at the university.
- Recipients must complete 20 hours of community service per long semester, actively participate in UNT events, and participate in a UNT peer mentoring program.
- Undergraduate categories will receive $500 per semester for the life of their award
- Graduate students will receive $750 per semester. Doctoral students in dissertation will receive $500 per semester they are in a reduced course load.
- Additional consideration will be given to first-generation college students, graduates from Texas High Schools, and Outreach campus partners including but not limited to: The Multicultural Center Student Programs, MARTIAL Eagles, TRiO, and the Pride Alliance
There are four categories, three for undergraduate scholars and one graduate:
- Incoming First Time in College: A first-time freshman admitted to UNT for the fall term immediately following high school graduation. The FTIC award is renewable for up to four years.
- Incoming Transfer Students: Must be a direct transfer from a community college. The Transfer Award is renewable for up to two years.
- Continuing Undergraduate Students: Must have been enrolled at UNT for at least one semester. The continuing undergraduate category is a one-year award.
- Current and Incoming Graduate Students: Must be a new or recent graduate student. The graduate award is renewable for up to two years.
- The MSA application is located on the UNT General Scholarship Application. Search Outreach and choose the appropriate category.
- All undergraduate students must have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA
- Current graduate students must have a 3.5 GPA. Incoming students must have at least a 3.0 GPA
- The application will require you to list past community service examples and submit a 500-word essay discussing your education journey. More information will be found on the application.
Requirements for Current Scholars
- All current undergraduate scholars must maintain a 3.0 GPA
- All current graduate scholars must maintain a 3.5 GPA
- Each MSA Scholar must complete 20 hours of volunteer service per long semester (fall and spring)
- Scholars must also complete required reflection of service each semester
- A beginning of year orientation will occur annually
- Phone: 940-369-7519
- Email: email@example.com